Monday, April 15, 2013

We Bought a House!

What an adventure these last two months have been. The plan all along was to buy a house this year, but I wasn't anticipating buying one this soon. Kaden came home one day in February and said, "I am tired of commuting! We are going to start looking for a house now." He got the ball rolling and handled mostly all of the work involved in buying a house. Since I handle all of the finances, I was really nervous. I had planned to start looking after we paid our huge bill to the IRS (I have no idea how we owed this year), but things started to fall into place. We found a few houses we liked, but the market is not a buyers market right now. Things were literally under contract within a day of listing and there were tons of cash buyers. I wasn't in love with our house when I looked at the pictures online and Kaden didn't even want to see the house, but I said we might as well see it in person. As soon as we pulled up I got this overwhelming feeling that this was THE house. We went inside and I was super excited. Now a little over a month later we are moved in! What a blessing it has been to find something fairly quickly that doesn't require a ton of work and is perfect for us. I am loving all of the "luxuries" our apartment didn't have:
  • enough hot water for us to take long showers back to back
  • an air conditioner that actually cools the house down in a matter of minutes
  • a washer and dryer inside
  • a dishwasher
  • ample walking room
  • room for a dining room table
  • more then one bathroom
  • a fenced backyard
The list could go on and on, but these are def. my top favorites about the house.
 
The one thing that was a little different about this house was their choice of paint colors. Luckily not many of the rooms were painted by them, but the few areas that were are so not my taste. They seemed to be lazy about it too, they didn't even take off the outlet covers or bathroom hardware. Who does that? I mean, you buy a BRAND new house and you go ruin it by being lazy. It doesn't make sense to me. Okay, enough of my rant. Obviously one of my first projects in this house was painting. :) I forgot to take a before picture, so here is one from the original listing. ALL four walls in this little half bath are this very deep blue. Do you see those fish on the wall? They were held on with some adhesive, and ripped off the wall which took all of the paint with it. So I already had to repair and paint anyway. The task of painting all four of these walls back to a normal color seemed like a huge undertaking. So I decided I'd try stripes on the one wall that needed repairs in hopes that it would brighten things up a bit.

Before



After

I thought about doing stripes on more than one wall, but they were a lot of work and I'm too impatient. I'm hoping the other white decorations I add to this bathroom will help brighten it up. I don't hate the deep blue, but who wants to feel like they are in a dungeon (even if there is a window).
 
This is the only room that is pretty much finished for now. Stay tuned for more pictures.

5 comments:

  1. Love the stripes! So exciting to be in an actual house!! Can't wait to see more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! So excited for you guys... It will still be a couple more years (when Danny gets done with grad school) before we can think about a house. But man am I excited for the day when we can also take two nice long showers back to back without it getting frigid! :)

    ReplyDelete