Let me just start with some history. My grandpa has had several heart attacks in his lifetime. He is in great shape and eats very healthy, but he has very narrow arteries that easily become blocked. The first heart attack was when I was very little. I can still remember my grandpa laying in bed at home resting after having a stint put in his artery. Then when I was in middle school he had open heart surgery. I remember that day vividly. I even cried at school with worry. I remember hearing about the experience the surgeon had while operating on my grandpa. He said that his hand was guided through the entire surgery and he knew there were angels there helping him.
About a year and a half ago my grandpa had to go in for another open heart surgery. This was by far the most difficult time for me. I've always been close to my grandparents, but I've grown even closer to them during the years I spent living in Utah. Thankfully the Lord blessed our family once again and all went well. Grandpa has healed and as long as he doesn't stay out in the heat too long, he has been able to do most everything he has always done. My grandma and grandpa eat even better then before (which is hard to believe since they already ate very healthy).
This last month grandpa has been having chest pains that have caused him to gasp for air. He was told to take it easy, but he was still having chest pains. Wednesday his doctor called him to tell him he had a serious blockage and would need an angiogram Friday morning to figure out where the blockage was and what type of surgery would be needed. I've been praying like crazy since hearing about his first chest pains. Of course I've also been very emotional this past month as well. Poor Kaden has had to deal with me saying over and over that my family cannot part with my grandpa yet, and how devastated my grandma would be. I truly believe that they have that type of love that one can't live very long without the other.
My grandpa is the only grandpa I've ever known, he has been a shining example to me of how a husband treats his wife, he is a strong priesthood holder, he is the kindest and gentlest man I know, he is an extremely hard worker even in his 70's and he loves everyone. I love him so much that I wanted William to have his name, William Kent. I very much hope that William is like my grandpa in more ways then one.
Now back to why I am so grateful. I am probably one of the most emotional people when it comes to things like this. I kept praying this past week and I kept having such calm feelings. For the first time ever I wasn't emotional and thinking the worst. The Lord kept giving me these feelings that all would be well. Now, I didn't exactly know how to interpret these feelings, but I did know that I needed to focus on everything being okay no matter what and to stay faithful. I told both my grandparents how I was feeling because I needed them to know that I was having good feelings about all that was happening. I hope in some ways it helped them as well to stay calm.
Friday grandpa went into have the angiogram and they found out that the blockage was in an artery below his heart. This artery had never been worked on and although completely blocked, they were able to balloon it and put in a stint. They checked on all of his other stints and bypasses as well. Everything looked perfect! I was able to visit with my grandpa before I left to come back home. He told me he was feeling great, just tired. Now he is at home still taking it easy, but feeling much better.
I am so unbelievably thankful to my Father in heaven for helping me to feel at peace during this time. Sometimes I let the daily stresses of life overshadow all the blessings that I have. I'm grateful for this humbling experience, knowing that above all my faith is the most important thing and I can rely on Him for comfort, guidance, and peace. I am grateful for my elder brother Jesus Christ for atoning for my sins. I know that through Him I'll be reunited with my loved ones again and that it'll be the most joyous occasion. I know that the Lord hears my prayers and answers each and every one of them. I know that the Lord has a plan for me and that has become even more apparent this last year. I am grateful to be reminded of what is important in this life and I am grateful for all of my blessings.
| Grandpa holding William in the hospital the day after he was born. |

So glad everything is ok with your grandpa! I know how scary that can be, my grandma had similar heart problems and surgeries, etc. I'm glad you were able to find peace through prayer and strength from the Lord. Thanks for the nice post, girl. It was just the reminder I needed to rely on my Heavenly Father more in my life. :) Love and miss ya!!
ReplyDelete